Re: [Mgs] In Memoriam - Lord Stokes (Dan DiBiase)

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>, Jack Feldman
Subject: Re: [Mgs] In Memoriam - Lord Stokes (Dan DiBiase)
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sun, 7/27/08, Jack Feldman <qualitas.jack@gmail.com> wrote:

>  The book makes it clear that
> when the Shop Stewards ran the factory things went
> smoothly. When
> know-it-all managers insisted on taking over the function,
> they caused most
> of the problems because, not being trained, they didn't
> understand the labor
> requirements and looked down on the lowly worker.

This class-system attitude was brought home to me in a story
from a mentor of mine, a German gentleman who was conscripted
into Hitler's army and was eventually captured by the Americans.
He spent time in American and British POW camps until well
into 1947 (because the British didn't want to give up the
free labor).  He told me that if they were detailed to some
kind of work crew under the Americans, and came up with a
better way of doing the task, if they approached the
American soldier with their idea he'd say "Sounds good to me,
go ahead."  Later, in British care, the same same type of
suggestions were met with a response of "That's all very
well, but you must understand that YOU'RE the prisoner and
I'M the guard, and so therefore you'll do it MY way."