[Mgs] Almost There...

To: mg-mgb@yahoogroups.com, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Almost There...
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:09:11 -0700 (PDT)
Well, made a lot of progress this week-end, with work on the B sandwiched in
around other activities, including my wife's
birthday yesterday ;-)

Had an issue with the alternator brackets, i.e., the 'new' engine didn't have
them! Tried to use the part of a spare GB-Series engine
(I have a couple of blocks 'lying around') but it was too short and didn't fit
the newer, alternator holes in the block. Fortunately, I have
a buddy locally with a complete '74 (with Sabrinas) and he let me have the
needed parts. I've also sourced a set that is being shipped
to replace those from my buddy's car. So the alternator is all set.

Next task was to get the new '75 non-catalyst downpipe into the exhaust. Had a
tough time getting the old one out, but the same
buddy has a very nice professional oxy-aceteline torch that made quick work of
heating and removing the old pipe and installing the
new. So, the exhaust is now hung - although I need to get a nut for the bolt
that goes through manifold flange. A Home Despot trip
is planned for today.

I also changed the plugs (Autozone was out of NGK's so I grabbed the
Champions). While there I stocked up on coolant, brake fluid,
radiator clamps and gasket seal.

I also got the fan installed, along with the fan belt and some miscellaneous
wires and hoses.

I need to finish bolting the exhaust up, and try and get it off of the steering
shaft. Install the carb (still looking for that linkage
photo) and figure out what to do with the dizzy - try and wire the existing one
or replace with my electronic one. Then the radiator
goes back in and the brakes need to be bled. I'm hoping to be able to fire it
up Wednesday evening.

Pictures in the '76 B blog in my sig.

 Dan D
Central NJ USA
'76 MGB Tourer - Engine Reinstalled and Almost There!
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, Still Is....
NAMGBR #5-2328
http://dans65b.blogspot.com/
http://dans76b.blogspot.com/
http://dansautoblog.blogspot.com/