Re: [Mgs] Moving Along....

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Moving Along....
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:59:33 -0500
Rick Lindsay wrote:
> Hey Dan,
>
> Get the leaks in the lines fixed then lets talk about
> the leaking carb.  Many times leaks there are just
> flooding bowls.  You didn't perchance install an
> aftermarket fuel pump did you?  Many of the
> aftermarket electric pumps are too strong for our old
> carbs.  The pressure forces the float bowl valve open
> and flooding occurs.
I had this issue with the Cooper S some years ago. I had installed the
aftermarket fuel pump, designated as "carb" rather that "fuel injection" pump.
All would be well until I got up to speed on the motorway, then the vibration
of the road and the engine would allow the pump to overpower the float chamber
needle valve.

I added a fuel-pressure regulator to the system ($20) and all became well. I
set it at the lowest setting and took it up to speed and there was no fuel
starvation and no more flooding.

-The Roxter