[Mgs] Engine install update

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Engine install update
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbro1@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:41:30 -0400
Listers,

After putting new alternator bearings and brushes on the original Lucas
alternator, I installed the unit in the '72 MGB. Guess I should have should
have replaced the regulator too, for the ignition light remained on.
Solution: a rebuilt alternator from Auto Zone. The Lucas unit they supplied
was identical to the one I'd removed and beautifully done. It worked too! At
$61.00 exchange with a lifetime guarantee, it's obvious that I should have
gone that route in the first place. The only complaint I had was the metric
heli coil used to repair the threaded hole for the adjustment bracket: 8mm x
1.5.

The oil pressure gauge which worked two years ago, wasn't getting off "0". I
bent my old body under the dash and removed the tach so that I could reach
the oil pipe connection to the oil pressure gauge from the front of the
dash. After loosening the pipe and starting the engine, still no oil flow.
Turned out to be a solidly blocked pipe which I cleared with a piece of wire
followed by compressed air. 70psi at idle running 30wt Brad Penn non
detergent break in oil. I'm happy with that.

Now on to the new windscreen glass....

Ed Woods