[Mgs] 74 B stalls on right hand corners

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] 74 B stalls on right hand corners
From: "Eric Markley" <ericemarkley@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:19:06 -0400
Hello everyone,

Subject line tells the story. Take a right hand corner at more than a
walking pace and the car will stumble, stumble, stumble, and stall in a few
seconds. It seems like fuel starvation. However, the only way to restart the
car quickly is to hold the throttle to the floor and crank for 10 to 15
seconds. This feels like flooding. It always seems to do this at a place
where you don't want to or can't fiddle with a stalled car.

The car is a 74 B with a 797AE engine and HIF4 carbs AUD 550. The dizzy is
the US replacement 45D unit. The tune is reasonably good. It generally
starts superbly when warm and has always been a bit temperamental when
starting cold.

The most likely culprit would seem to be the carb floats. My brother the
engineer rebuilt the carbs when he had it. I believe that he put in "Grose
Jets." I have no idea if these are any good or not. We have had a dozen LBCs
in the extended family since 1970 and Mike knows more than I do.

The car has been doing this semi-regularly for the past couple of years. Is
it relevant that I have plumbed in a charcoal canister to get rid of the
fuel vapors that were giving me headaches?

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Eric in Florida