Re: [Mgs] ZDDP in oil

To: Stephen West-fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZDDP in oil
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:51:18 -0700 (PDT)
I've heard that too Stephen.  The advice used to be to never use synthetic in a
newly rebuilt engine.  The again, the first synthetic oils leaked pretty badly
in old cars.  Since then, the makers have reformulated synthetics so that they
seal better.  Rememberm paper gasket seals seal when swolen with fluids.  The
first synthetics didn't adequately wet the gaskets (or swell seals).

Modern oils don't break down like ancient oils did.  Still, its still MHO that
the best solution is to use the oil originally intended and change it often to
throw away the debris that it collects.  I use 20W50 Castrol GTX and change the
filter with every change.  Something like 5000 mile intervals.

rick