Re: [Mgs] Fw: Re: Mode of failure for ignition coil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fw: Re: Mode of failure for ignition coil
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Mon, 9/15/08, Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> You can diagnose many ignition
> LT problems by connecting a voltmeter to the points terminal
> on the coil.  With the points closed you should see 0v, and
> with them open you should see 12v.

Tried this just now, got 0V both open and closed.

>  If you see 0v all the
> time remove the distributor wire from the coil and measure
> again.  If you still see zero volts then the coil is
> probably open-circuit, or there is no 12v feed to the coil.

Also saw 0V with this test, but I also realized my original
"short" mistake - big dummy didn't disconnect the coil
before measuring the resistance!  :-P  With it disconnected,
it shows *open* on the primary winding.  D'oh!

So I'm thinking I had the right diagnosis but for the
wrong reason.  That's worth partial credit, isn't it?
I'll try a new coil.  Thanks everyone for the help.

> If you had said it was an MGA, then maybe I would have
> noticed it :o)

Oh, the subtle but pervasive MGB prejudice that permeates
this list!  :-)