Re: [Mgs] On-Going Issues

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>,MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] On-Going Issues
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:48:50 -0500
At 11:45 AM 9/18/2008 -0700, Dan DiBiase wrote:
>.... '76 B with '75 engine. ....
>
>1) The car won't start. ....
>
>2) When the car did run, in preparation for a run around the block,
>I stepped on the brake pedal and the engine died. I'm assuming a
>vacuum leak and in fact there appears to be a small crack oin the
>vacuum hose from the brake booster to the manifold.

Problem #1:  Vacuum leak in the internal diaphragm of that brake
booster wouild do that (not the hose).   Pinch teh hose closed witha
clamp and see if that problem goes away.  If so, then the booster
needs to be rebuilt.

>.... the fuel pump starting making noise - not the normal clicking
>but kind of a loud hum. .... Car turned over fine but then there was
>what appeared to be a 'flash' from under the dash (a brief burst of
>light) and I let go of the key. .... The pump continued to hum.....
>
>Here is what the pump sounds like -
>
>http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/ddibiase/1976%20MGB%20Engine%20Work/?action=view&current=P9170036.flv

Problem #2:  The flash under the dash may be a faulty switch or a
loose wire on the ignition switch, 4-way flasher switch, or less
likely the lighting switch.  This is not related to the other problems.

Problem #3:  Fuel pump is running very fast, usually means no fuel
going through the pump.  This could be no fuel in the tank (kick me),
clogged pickup pipe in the tank, clogged intake filter in the pump,
hole in the pipe between tank pickup and pump sucking in air, or a
ruptured diaphragm in the pump.

As odd as this may seem, I'm leaning toward the later.  That looks
like  Walboro fuel pump (or one of the sister brands).  In 1989 I had
two of those fail in quick succession because the rubber diaphragm
was being disolved by 10% alcohol in the fuel.  This problem should
have been resolved years ago, but if this pump is new old stock it
may still be the issue.  Or if the pump is old but was never used
with gasohol fuel before it may be finally failing now.

Disconnect the inlet pipe from the pump, connect a hose on the pump
inlet, stick the hose in a can of fuel, and see if the pump works
then (or not).  If it the works, look for a clog or leak before the
pump.  If it doesn't work, drop it in the nearest trash can.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA wth an attitude
http://MGAguru,com