Re: [Mgs] Competition suspension

To: MG list <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Competition suspension
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:31:22 +0930
On 23/09/2008, at 10:12 PM, rolindsay@yahoo.com wrote:

> The answer is to lower the center of mass - which may not be
> possible, to any real extent, on an MGB. Still, removing any mass
> that's above the axle line should help. e.g. Carbon fiber bonnet,
> boot, any trim up high, etc.

Thanks again, all.

I am going to lower her and see how that goes.  I am not sure what
"mass" I can remove above the axle line (internals are pretty much
stripped and she has pretty light race seats (the hard-top doesn't
weigh anything much and no, I can't get rid of the rollbar :-) so I
guess "lowering" that mass is the next best thing.

I have an aluminium bonnet.  I guess I could change the usual heavy
steel bootlid - but I thought the combination of light bonnet and
heavy bootlid was all about positioning the "balance point" of the car?

Right at this moment I am not looking at replacing steel panels with
fibreglass so my options are limited.

My issue was in trying to get some greater braking potential back into
the rear end, which from the photo it would appear is currently a
little compromised.

What a fun game this is.  Or is this where I stop MY learning and just
take the whole car to an "expert" and throw masses of money at them to
let them do their magic (if I can find such an expert, that is)?

I already outbrake many cars on the track (the beauty of the 'B) -
which is how I match quite a few of the more powerful cars for lap
times - but if I could get a metre or so more out of my brakes it
would, of course, be wonderful.  I already constantly juggle back and
forward between front and rear brakes trying to find that "sweet spot".

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia