Re: [Mgs] Master cylinder - size of ports -1600 MKII

To: "Pat Harris - \"sammler\"" <sammler@bellsouth.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Master cylinder - size of ports -1600 MKII
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:13:02 -0000
I can't see the size of port being an issue - as long as there *is* a port and
it isn't blocked with debris.  The size of the port would affect flow-rate but
not static pressure.  It's more likely to be the brake pedal not allowing the
master piston to come back far enough, and maladjustment of the brake light
switch is a cause of this.  If the master was replaced, rebuilt, or even just
removed and replaced you should check the adjustment of the switch.

Basically unscrewing the switch causes it to close and the lights to glow,
screwing it in with the pedal at rest to turn them off.  It needs to be
screwed in far enough to turn them off, but not too far that it stops the
pedal fully releasing the master push-rod.  The book says there should be 1/8"
of free play at the foot pad at the end of the pedal.  It doesn't say so, but
I'm assuming this free play must be movement of the pedal that *doesn't* move
the push-rod.

PaulH.