Re: [Mgs] engine reinstall

To: "Richard Ewald" <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] engine reinstall
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:19:39 -0000
You are correct that the gearbox shaft is not going fully into the clutch
driven plate and the pilot bearing.  This is because there is an angle between
the two when they should be in line.  But to get them in line I either need to
raise the front of the gearbox, or lower the front of the engine.  However the
gearbox is hard up against the tunnel, and the crank pulley is resting on the
rack.  Result?  Impasse.  I don't have the exact figures to hand as I have
been communicating by Messenger with the person doing the install and didn't
keep the message, but there is a gap of about 1" between the top of the
bell-housing and the engine backplate, whereas at the bottom it is about 1
1/2".  To engage you need the same gap all the way round of course.  The
splines are just starting to engage, the installer is pretty sure that as they
were rolling the car back and fore (it is on its wheels) with 4th gear engaged
the crank pulley was rotating.  But obviously until the shaft and driven plate
are at the same angle it won't go any further.

So we are going to try and lessen the 'out of line-ness' (hopefully to zero)
by dropping the crossmember and/or moving it back.

Thanks,
PaulH.