[Mgs] Common Language

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Common Language
From: Rod Williams <PRNDL@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 22:18:55 -0800
On Jan 6, 2009, at 9:38 PM, Simon Matthews wrote:

> who told you that English was written phonetically? They were wrong.

A number of years ago while working in the South of England, I had a
day off to myself and decided to drive to the British Motor Museum. It
is located in Beaulieu, Hampshire. For years I had worked with a brand
of French motion picture camera spelled the same, which was always
pronounced "Bo-Lew". Of course, I got lost driving to the museum but
knew I was very close. Several times I stopped to ask the locals where
"Bo-Lew" was and was met with blank stares. Finally, I asked where "Bo-
Lew" was "you know, where the Motor Museum is". The local laughed and
responded "oh, you're looking for "Bu-Lee"" I have never, never asked
how "Beaulieu" became "Bu-Lee" and I never will. The museum was
fantastic.
--
Rod Williams
Petaluma, California