Re: [Mgs] water pump

To: oliver <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] water pump
From: Phil Bates <jello@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:06:02 -0700
I'm not sure of the details either, but I know this - I have n MGA with
a 3 main MGB engine - and the 3 main B water pump doesn't fit well with
a later pulley.  I had a shim approx 5/16 thick made so that the belt
would line up using the pump.

On another note, Barney claims to have 200,000 + miles on an MGA cast
iron water pump.  Mine went bad with some unknown amount of mileage, BUT
I had it rebuilt for about the same price as replacing it.  Not only
that, but the body was fine, and always will be - since it's cast iron -
whereas the aftermarket pumps tend to be pot metal....and I've had the
generator mount ear break off of them.

Phil Bates