[Mgs] MGA Rear Axle Hub Nut

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MGA Rear Axle Hub Nut
From: "Robert J. Guinness" <guinness@stclegal.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:03:53 -0600
I am replacing the oil seals on my MGA 1600's rear axle hubs for the
first time.  I was able to take the hub nut off from the right
(passenger side) with only the normal difficulties.  However, the left
(driver) side nut was larger than the right side.  The right was the
normal 1 61/64, but the left was 50mm (a hair's breath under 2").  The
socket I used for the right won't fit the left side at all.  What is
going on?  I must report that I have run into a number of interesting
DPO kludges on this car (my latest favorite is turning the bumper guards
upside down to hide rust and pitting of the chrome).  There couldn't be
a different set-up on the left side axle-- or could there?  I know that
the nuts are different threads, but are they also different outside
dimensions as well?  Or did the DPO pick up a different nut.  The left
side is VERY leaky by the way.  Any insight would be appreciated.
--
Robert Guinness
1961 MGA 1600