Re: [Mgs] Unleaded fuel and Cylinder Head

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Paul Osborne <paul@ece.rochester.edu>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Unleaded fuel and Cylinder Head
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:09:58 -0800 (PST)
Hello LBCers,

Tetra-ethyl-lead did three things,

1) It elevated the apparent octane rating of the fuel to reduce ping
   (pinking), predetonation and the possibility of run-on.  It did so
   by elevating the flash point of the fuel.

2) It left lead deposits on the surfaces of the combustion chamber,
   including the valve seats.  That may have cushioned the valve-seat
   collision but more importantly, that thin deposit allowed the valve
   to 'bite' into the coating for a better seal.

3) It was argued that it put lots of lead pollution into the atmosphere.

   I have always viewed those aftermarket 'additives' as octane boosters,
not compounds to replace the lead deposited on the seats.  It only makes
sense that one would see no added protection to the seats if the actual
goal was to tweak the octane.

YMMV.

rick