Re: [Mgs] MGA axle carrier threads

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA axle carrier threads
From: "Pete Chast" <pchast@francomm.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:06:12 -0800
Has anyone suggested that the nut is dammaged? check the lead threads on
the nut and stud side carefully. You may need to file off and open the
first 1/4 of a thread. Don't go so far that you loose a signifficant part
of the nut's 'hold'.

Pete

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 03:28:10 -0800, Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
wrote:

> At 06:02 AM 3/22/2009 -0500, Robert J. Guinness wrote:
>> Well, the axle carrier threads for the hub nut on my MGA 1600 are
>> totally knackered. .... I tried a universal thread chaser.  I also tied
>> Barney Gaylord's suggestion of cutting a nut, sliding it over the
>> threads, clamping it back together and turning it back and forth.  I
>> still cannot start the nut (its a LH  nut with LH axle threads). What
>> are my options?
>
> If you cannot start the nut then you need to chase the threads some
> more.  In particular, file or grind any burrs off of the first thread,
> and put a little chamfer on it, then chase the threrads again.  The only
> reason a nut won't start is because of a buggered thread with burrs or
> excess material above the nominal thread surface.  A thread chaser
> should always be able to remove enough materail to clean it up so a nut
> will start and run free.

Snip..