Re: [Mgs] Pistons

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Pistons
From: Richard Gosling <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:57:47 +0000
Picture a piston half-way down the cylinder, during the power stroke.
Pressure from the burning fuel pushes straight down on the piston.  The
conrod is reacting this force; however, the conrod is at an angle, so the
(compressive) load in the conrod is also pushing the side of the piston
against the cylinder wall.  This side of the piston is therefore the thrust
side.

Looking from the front of an engine, it spins clockwise (apart from, I
think, some Japanese engines - but let's not go there!).  Therefore, during
the power stroke, the big end of the conrod is over to the right of the
engine centre.  Its compressive load is therefore pushing the piston over to
the left, so the left side of the piston is the thrust face.

I hope this explanation makes sense to everyone!!

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)