Re: [Mgs] Sizzling MG6 puts Brits back on top! | Auto Express News

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Sizzling MG6 puts Brits back on top! | Auto Express News
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:39:05 -0500
Richard Gosling wrote:

>     "It's my opinion that an MG Midget with a Sprite logo is not a
>     Sprite, An Austin Mini with a Morris logo is not a Morris and a
>     Toyota with an MG logo is not an MG. My opinion, mind.
>

>     -The Roxter"
>

> Hmmm.  The Midget/Sprite was an Austin Healey Sprite BEFORE it was a
> Midget, so surely that arguement should say that it is not a real MG.
>
> The Mini was launched as an Austin and Morris pretty much
> simultaneously (as well as Riley and Wolesely variants, not sure if
> they were simultaneous or shortly after).  It was designed by a
> company that combined Austin and Morris, but lead designer was Alec
> Issigonis, who came from Morris (having done the Morris Minor), so if
> anything it's more of a Morris than an Austin.
>
> MG was founded as a company making sportified versions of workaday
> Morris cars, and throughout its history continued to do so; in fact in
> the 80's the ONLY MGs were souped-up Austins.  The 90's was the only
> decade in history to see MG 2-seat sports cars (RV8 and MGF) that
> didn't see any MG saloons.
>
> You could have an arguement that a car designed and built in China
> isn't a real MG just because the company owns the rights to the name
> and logo (plenty would disagree, but it's a position you could
> justify).  There's no arguement to say that a sportified Morris,
> Austin, Rover or descendant thereof is not a real MG.
Yup, but there you're talking "real world." I was specifying my own
opinion, an area where I am God, with no necessity to justify or explain.

To me, Sprite is a frog-eye. Period.

The first Mini I raced was a Morris & my present Cooper S is a Morris,
but to me, Minis are Austins. Doesn't even make sense to me, but that's
the way it is.

-The Roxter