Re: [Mgs] Generator front bearing.

To: Pete Chast <pchast@francomm.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Generator front bearing.
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:25:46 -0700
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Pete Chast <pchast@francomm.com> wrote:
> Simon.
>
> whatever you might have done wrong is immaterial its now time to replace the
> bearing.

It's not immaterial, since I want to avoid making the same mistake again.

> Common mistakes include not being clean enough and not supporting the race
> that's being
> pressed on a shaft. Double check and clean everything including th etools
> being used to
> press on the new bearing.

My method to put the front plate and bearing onto the shaft was to
find a socket that fitted over the shaft and pressed on the bearing,
and beat that with a large hammer. Since that did not work -- what is
the correct procedure?

Simon