Re: [Mgs] Generator woes continue

To: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Generator woes continue
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 01:07:34 -0500
At 08:04 PM 5/9/2009 -0700, Simon Matthews wrote:
>On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com> wrote:
> > At 02:00 PM 5/9/2009 -0700, Simon Matthews wrote:
> >> .... the rear bearing was worn through. How does one R&R the
> bronze bushing in the rear plate?
> >
> > Screw a thread cutting tap into it and pull it out.
>
>Any idea what size this is? I have a set of taps, but nothing that
>big, so I will have to buy a new tap.
>
>Any comments on pushing in the new bushing?

I just pulled one out to measure.
Generator rear shaft is .590" dia. (15 mm)
The bushing is thin wall sintered bronze,
.592 ID x .714 OD x .88 Long.

Thr tap can be 5/8-in or 16-mm.  I just screwed in a 5/8-18-UNF
tap.  When it hits bottom keep turning, and the bushing will come out
easily without pulling.

The bushing is only 1/16" thick when new.  If it is seriously worn
very thin you can pick one side with a knife point or ice pick to
bend it inward away from the housing bore and pull it out with a long
nose pliers.

Being thin wall bronze the new one will press in easily, or tap
gently with a light hammer and flat nose punch.  Try not to make a
burr on the end of the bushing.  After installation, insert the
armature shaft into the bushing and turn it to be sure it will run free.

Barney