Re: [Mgs] MGB GT Doors

To: Matthew Milkevitch <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB GT Doors
From: Richard Gosling <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 17:52:32 +0100
I suspect wherever you buy the doors, they come from the same source -
British Motor Heritage.  They are too complicated a component for any of the
after-market panel suppliers to do.  But I might be wrong...

I've just fitted a new near-side door to my GT, and it fits a treat.
Quality seems as good as I could want.

Having said that, I read a magazine article about BMH bodyshells and
panels.  The challenge is not so much manufacturing the components
consistently, so much as the cars were not entirely consistent when they
were first built.  The author bought a door that didn't fit his car too
well, but when he returned it that door fit someone elses car just fine.  He
was supplied another door and that fit fine.  So the story seems to be that
not all doors fit all cars fine, but the fault is just as much with the
original car as with the new door.  For this reason I believe BMH don't
supply bodyshells without supplying matching doors at the same time; but you
can of course buy a door on its own.

There are a few holes that need drilling for fitting bits of trim, so make
sure these are drilled before you paint, so the edges of the holes get some
paint protection on them.

Also the GT doors are different to the roadster, BUT the only difference is
a small triangle of metal at the top of the rear of the door that is present
on the roadster, but is not there and a chrome trim triangle rivetted in its
place on the GT.  When I bought my door the suppliers didn't have any GT
doors in stock, so they just sent me a roadster door and I cut the little
triangle off before painting.

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT, with one shiny door and the rest a bit
faded...)