Re: [Mgs] In defense of rear shock kits

Subject: Re: [Mgs] In defense of rear shock kits
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 22:31:04 -0700
On May 31, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Jack Feldman wrote:

> When I first got my C, it wallowed in the corners like a drunken
> sailor. The
> first time I tried a sharp corner I though I was going to roll.
> Since it was
> released wiser heads of mine have overcome the initial objections..
> I added
> Spax all round, and an uprated front roll bar. Tamed the beast, and
> turned
> it into an excellent road car for long trips.

Invalid comparison.  New cheap gas struts will beat old worn expensive
Armstrongs.  But would they be better than new Armstrongs?

> Why not replace a shock that was developed years ago, and  take
> advantage of
> years of shock development? I have made many changes to my BGT to
> modernize
> it,  and will replace any part that has failed with a more modern
> one if it
> is available.

Because it's a bodge.  Why bother replacing a very well (IMHO)
designed component of the suspension with something that is designed
more or less with "get it to fit" as the primary constraint?  New or
rebuilt lever shocks should give you the same or better performance as
new gas struts, and if WWAP's warranty is to be believed, the rebuilt
Levers will last longer than a pair of Monroes too.

Newer isn't always better.  Sometimes it's just cheaper.