Re: [Mgs] In defense of rear shock kits

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] In defense of rear shock kits
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 16:40:12 -0500
> When I first got my C...

... etc. Rest deleted for brevity.

Some experiential knowledge. YMMV. It's your car, etc. In fact, your car
is a C and mine is a B and they have very different feels to begin with.

I've been going through this on my redcar. I have to agree with Aaron.

My first MG was a '74 Sabrina bumper B (yclept, the Maroon). Since that
car they have all been daily drivers and I have become, if I may say so,
quite familiar with the handling characteristics of the cars - drive
everywhere and occasionally race. The eventual setup on the Sabrina was
rebuilt shocks all round, V8 bushes in front, HD valves in the front
shocks only and a 7/8" swaybar. The car handled like a dream.  I would
volunteer to go to the store for a loaf of bread, just so I could drive
it, even though the store was right down the street. Every car now has
to measure up to that one.

After two more cars and several setups, I finally got the redcar ('67
roadster). When I got the redcar I decided to try the Spax kit, because
a knowledgeable friend recommended it and it was cheaper. It WAS among
the first things I did to the car. Since then I have completely rebuilt
the body, and almost finished the suspension and brakes. (It's a rolling
resto.) I always felt that the Spax in the back was a bit twitchy. I was
never able to find a setting that even closely approximated the way the
maroon handled. Just over the past few months, I went back to rebuilts
all around. The difference is working in my favor.

I'm still working out a few things, but I've come to the conclusion that
they had a reason for choosing hydraulics over gas , though they were
available and, even at the time, cheaper. It's a little softer but holds
the road better; works with the front end better and, *I think* will
last longer. Some rocket surgeon out there will give us a full
accounting of the longevity of gas v. oil in shocks. But I'm sold on the
original design. A friend of mine got his '67 GT set up with coil over
front end a Spax rear and keeps talking about how it handles like a
short wheelbased 911. I figure if I wanted a car to handle like a
Porsche I'd have bought a Porsche. I like the way MG's drive. Porsche
made, and still does, great cars. No one says I have to like them.

I would also recommend rebuilts over new. They're made better and will
last longer. Depending on source of course.

Glenn