Re: [Mgs] Pertronix Flame Thrower distributor

To: "Henri Lefebvre" <71mgbgt@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Pertronix Flame Thrower distributor
From: "Eric Markley" <ericemarkley@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:34:39 -0400
Hello Henri,

Your '71 should have a GK series engine that used manifold vacuum. I would
set the timing dynamically at 35 degrees BTDC at 3000 to 3500 rpm and then
verify that the timing at idle is in the 10 to 15 degree BTDC range. Vacuum
advance should be disconnected while adjusting the timing. You may need to
adjust the timing a little depending on the quality of the gas you can buy
to avoid detonation. I have heard anything from 31 to 38 being used to get
best results; each engine is unique. Too little and too much advance are
both bad. If it starts well when cold, pulls strongly to 5000 or so, and
does not ping or overheat, you are close to the best timing.

Hope it works out well.

Eric in Florida
'74 B