Re: [Mgs] [Mgs} Adding relays to the headlight circuits

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mgs} Adding relays to the headlight circuits
From: Todd Mullins <muses@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:27:37 -0500
> wkilleffer@comcast.net writes:
> There seem to be alot of different options for adding relays, but the
> part that concerns me right now is where to get the power to operate
> the relays. Most instructions talk about taking it off of the fuse
> block using a pretty heavy gauge wire, but they don't give much
> assistance as to which terminal to use.

Bill,

On my '74, I used a car audio amplifier wiring kit to pull power
directly from the big terminal on the starter to my relays.  This has
the advantages of being cheap, readily available, and beefy, and
includes inline fuses.  I actually have two wires running - one for
low beams, one for high beams - and each includes its own fuse.  This
provides fault tolerance, should one wire develop a short.

I wouldn't run anything else through the (already marginal) fuse block.

-todd
muses@cableone.net