[Mgs] MGA Oil leak rear main - possible solution??

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MGA Oil leak rear main - possible solution??
From: Patrick Harris <1962mga1600mkii@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:52:03 -0400
I just saw the following at the LBC web site (lbcarco.com) and would
like to know if anyone else has any experience with this recommendation:

05/24/09        Leaking 3 Main Engine?
This Weeks Tech Tip Is From Frank Grimaldi.

If you are experiencing oil leaks on a MGB/MGA 3-main or "T" Series
engine you may want to consider the following:

My 3-main MGB had significant oil leaks originating from the rear main
and both ends of the oil pan. Rather than pull the engine to measure
and correct the scroll clearance and reinstall the straight cork
seals, I decided to first install a PCV valve. A PCV valve, if
installed correctly, will create a vacuum in the crankcase of about
minus 2 PSI and would draw air in and prevent oil from leaking out. I
tried it and low and behold it worked! I used a PCV valve and related
parts from a 1964 - 1967 MGB and a front tappet cover w/an oil
separator from a 1967 MGB. The PCV valve and related items are
available, new, from LBC. The tappet cover will have to be used, as
they are not available new.

Thanks,
Pat