Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:11:46 +0100
Is that pressurised or unpressurised?  The latter I suspect as you say you can
topup when the engine is hot.  That's quite different to a remote pressurised
expansion tank, and no MGB should need one if the system is working correctly
and one isn't trying to keep it overfilled.  You can have an overflow bottle
on a remote expansion tank of course, and while I had a problem with my V8
cooling system that is what I had.  Air bubbles were pressurising the system
and forcing coolant into the expansion tank which eventually filled it and
overflowed, lowering the level in the radiator and engine in the process.
Periodically I had to pour the overflow bottle (rather than lose it and have
to topup from another container) back into the radiator and blow the contents
of the expansion tank back in as well.  The only time an overflow bottle might
give some piece of mind is with the earlier rear fill radiators where you
can't see the tubes through the filler, but even then if you remove the cap
when still warm you should be able to see it in the bottom of the angled tube
even though you may not when it is cold.  Incidentally it is only under
extreme or fault conditions that I haven't been able to remove a radiator cap
when at normal running temperature without boiling or overflowing, even on the
V8.  On the roadster I have never had a problem, it just gives a slight hiss
and that is all.

PaulH.