Re: [Mgs] sputter

To: "Malcolm Jeffcock" <msjeffcock@eastlink.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] sputter
From: "Eric Markley" <ericemarkley@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:37:02 -0400
Hello Malcolm,

Can we assume that your engine is in generally good condition (it passes
compression and vacuum tests) and is in a proper state of tune (with
distributor advance & retard systems OK at all rpm and carburetors
carburating well at all rpm.)

You can test both volume and pressure of the fuel pump. I think the output
volume should be about a pint per minute.

You mentioned that this occurs during highway driving. Does it occur after a
few minutes of such driving, or does it take an hour or more? Is the car
running overly warm when this happens?

Does your car have the charcoal canister? It may be blocked with fouling. I
believe this can cause fuel vapors to build up over time and cause fuel
delivery problems. Test this by disconnecting the hoses temporarily. If it
is a problem, it is very easy to take apart and rebuild.

Our friend Paul Hunt would likely remind us that a systematic approach
should be used to identify that cause of the problem, saving time finding
the cause and money buying parts not needed. Paul is entirely correct, he
usually is.

Going up hill produces more load as the car fights gravity going up the
hill. The power fade being more prevalent in this situation sounds more like
a carburation or fuel delivery issue more than an ignition issue, unless
your dizzy springs are weak and your total advance is very low. Could the
pistons in the carbs be sticking?

Others chime in please!

Eric in Florida
'74 MGB