[Mgs] Why I hate Red Cars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Why I hate Red Cars
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:13:56 -0500
I said I'd return to this, but figured it need to be a different subject.

A. When I was in my youth my sister was just going into college and got
herself a red Fiat Spyder. She'd been forever harping about getting a
little red sports car. She got one and wouldn't let me drive it. That's
one strike.

2. Then later in life I discovered the prejudice that insurance
companies and the police hold against red cars. In fact my first MG was
red but dark enough to warrant calling it 'maroon' on the registration
papers. I got away with it. It's always been known around here as the
Maroon.

III. When I got this car ('67) it had been painted a late '70's Ford red
and was in fairly good condition. Because of that I decided to rebuild
it, this time body first. I wanted to tone down the red and spent
several days with chips and paint books trying to find a suitable red
that wasn't quite as loud. In the end I took a book Tartan and added
some blue and am happy with the result. But looking at all those reds in
different light - all I could see for the next twenty minutes was GREEN.

And then the color sanding and polishing after the paint was down. I had
to take breaks every half hour so I could see something other than GREEN.

This week I had to re-polish the bonnet because I let the birdshit and
water spots sit too long. Luckily my air compressor only holds enough
air to keep the polishing gun going for about ten minutes. When I'd get
back inside to let the tank refill all I could see was GREEN again.

That's why I hate red cars. I'm sick of looking at GREEN.

Glenn