Re: [Mgs] Beware Heritage Trust Manuals on CD

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Beware Heritage Trust Manuals on CD
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:59:16 -0700
This is a pretty ridiculous problem... The operating system should not
affect whether Acrobat (actually, Adobe Reader is the name) can read PDF
documents. And newer versions of Adobe Reader can always read older PDF
documents, so that isn't the problem.

Hmm, I wonder if the document on the CD is hard-coded to launch the version
of Reader that is on the CD (which, being older, is not compatible with
Vista)? I can think of two workarounds: copy the document files to your hard
drive and eject the CD; or first launch your current version of Reader, then
use the Open command to select the document on the CD.

I mean, I can pop random CD-ROMs from the mid-90s into my new Mac running
the latest OS and read the old PDF help documents, no problem. It just
shouldn't be an issue...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149