Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:07:44 +0100
The weight figures Barrie gave us in his correction were expressed as a
percentage, which is the same basis as ppm, percentage is 'parts per
hundred', you just shift the decimal point.  Ppm is usually used for very
small proportions to avoid too many leading zeros, 1500ppm is 0.15%.  I
don't think '4.7mg of zinc per quart' would be helpful as I have never seen
it expressed that way by anyone in the industry, it is always percent or
ppm.  One of the biggest problems I have is with Valvolene VR1 Racing which
claims zinc at 0.14 and phosphorus at 0.13, so the highest of all found so
far, and the closest to the 'recommended' levels, but it also claims to meet
API SH/SJ/SL/SM and CD for 20W-50.  This begs the question "how can it
conform to SM if it has the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus?".

PaulH.