Re: [Mgs] Fore and Aft Rod Movement

To: "BDavis" <bdavispics@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fore and Aft Rod Movement
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:54:45 +0100
I've not examined the 4-cylinder in as much detail but on the V8 the
little-end is free to slide the full exposed width of the gudgeon pin, and
the 4-cylinder does look the same.  With the big-end on the crank then the
only way it can move sideways is if the crank has some end-play, the big-end
has some float on its journal, or the bearings at both ends are very worn
allowing it to rock.  If you can slide the whole con-rod i.e. both big and
little ends are sliding back and fore the same amount then it is the first
two, but if the big end is remaining in position while the little end rocks
from side to side then it is the third option.  Some movement is almost
inevitable as there must be some clearance in the bearings.  Multiply the
clearance in the big-end by the ratio of the big-end width to the con rods
length and you will get an idea of how much movement there may be at the
little end.

PaulH.