Re: [Mgs] MGA sputtering engine

To: "Robert J. Guinness" <guinness@stclegal.com>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA sputtering engine
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:56:23 -0000
Sounds like fuel starvation to me, it's exactly what you get if the vented
filler cap has got blocked or a non-vented fitted.  But the first diagnosis
step is to clip a timing light onto the coil lead and each plug lead in turn
and watch the flashes while cranking.  Regular and consistent flashes on the
coil lead but inconsistent or missing altogether on one or more plug leads
says the cap and/or rotor are breaking down.  Could still be plug problems,
and possibly condenser.  While on 1 and 4 point it at the crank pulley and
check the timing is about right.  After cranking for a bit take out the
plugs.  If there is no fuel smell on them you have no fuel getting through.
If they are wet it is flooded, which you can usually smell anyway, in a
garage at least.  They should smell strongly of fuel but not be wet.  If no
or very little fuel smell take a fuel pipe off a carb and direct it into a
container.  Turn on the ignition and it should deliver at least one Imperial
pint per minute, and in practice closer to two, in a consistent series of
pulses with negligible bubbling.

PaulH.