Re: [Mgs] The dreaded "Kent Collection"

Subject: Re: [Mgs] The dreaded "Kent Collection"
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:10:28 -0800
On Nov 15, 2009, at 2:05 PM, <melfrankus@carolina.rr.com>
<melfrankus@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

> Holy Moley, some of you need to chill out or put more fiber in your diets.
Unwanted or unsolicited email is one of the downsides of the technology.

The problem is the abuse of trust.  "The Kent Collection" is abusing the trust
we have in the members of this mailing list.  They are using our very list
against us.

Further, it's not just annoying, it's illegal.  They purport to be a British
company, though the lack of an address on their website is an interesting
"omission".

They have no effective way to "opt out" (the link doesn't work), but that
doesn't matter, because as a UK company, they are bound by UK laws. Like most
of the sane world, Europe requires "opt-in", meaning nobody is allowed to send
commercial email until they get consent (at which point, it's no longer
"spam")

At this point, I'm done trying to reason with them.  Every email I get from
them from this point forward gets reported to the ICO.  I suggest everybody
else that gets them does the same.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

I'm doing this because basically, everything fits:
* the sender is based in the UK
* the recipient (me) did not opt-in
* the recipient (me) has no business relation with the sender