Re: [Mgs] wanted

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] wanted
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:56:11 -0800
Part of it has to do with engine displacement.

A 1600cc engine with an automatic would be perceived as gutless by almost
anyone. But a 6000cc V8 has plenty of oommph, even with a slushbox. The
trend to huge HP numbers in heavier and heavier cars makes these automatics,
semi-automatics and paddle-shifts more palatable.

What alarms me is that some high performance cars no longer offer
traditional manual shifts even as an option. Paddles... meh.

But then, what am I worried about? I will never be able to afford these
exotics -- and by the time they have enough miles to drop into my price
range, all their electronics will be obsolete and unrepairable, and they'll
be "cash for clunkers" fodder. While I continue driving my MG into its
second half-century...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149