[Mgs] clutch slave cylinder struggle

To: MG Digest <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] clutch slave cylinder struggle
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:32:34 -0700
I'd say I am in the middle of a 64B restoration but with all the
complications I may still be in the early stages. Or eventually, I may
hit some easy spots and be done soon. It certainly isn't close to being
a basic disassembly / reassembly so far. In the clutch hydraulics, the
master cylinder is done and in place. But the slave cylinder is seized
up - I have removed the boot but cannot get the metal cup piece out.
I've tried Busty and NAPA's penetrant but it appears rusted in place. I
recall someone mentioning blowing it (and the rubber cup seal) out with
compressed air. But that didn't work either, using 90 psi (some leakage
at the hose fitting but it built some pressure up inside the slave
cylinder but likely not the full 90 psi). Still no movement and no leaks
in the inner cylinder bore. I may see if I can get another rebuildable
unit when I am in Oregon next week unless someone has another idea of
what I can try.

David Councill

64 B

67 BGT