Re: [Mgs] Installing a Crane XR 700 electronic ignition - tips?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Installing a Crane XR 700 electronic ignition - tips?
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:08:33 -0700
On 3/31/2010 7:39 AM, Mark Wise wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I have a 1980 MGB that I will be attempting to get back on the road
> after a rather long hiatus (more on that later).  One step in this
> process will be to install a Crane XR700 ignition system.  For those of
> you who have attempted this, any advice, tips, or warnings?  :-)

I installed mine with the existing cap and rotor. They were in good
condition and recently replaced anyway. I do NOT miss screwing around
with points.

The only unfortunate side effect of the electronic ignition is that the
tach is off. There are some ways to fix that, but I can't remember what
they are. Maybe somebody else knows?
> The installation instructions suggest that I also replace the coil,
> rotor and cap, spark plug wires, and spark plugs.  Any advice on the
> make for these (specifically the coil)?

I suspect this is to save them tech support calls. If your cap, coil and
rotor are in good condition, you should be fine.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose

> Thanks!

Mgs@autox.team.net