Re: [Mgs] Gear shift knob

To: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Gear shift knob
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:05:56 -0700
Heilcoils and other thread inserts don't go to the next standard thread size
to the best of my knowledge.
A helicoil kit comes with some bizarre sized tap that is set to the outside
of the helicoil.  For example if you have a stripped 1/4X20 hole, it does
not tap out to 5/16X18 or 5/16X24 because the threads per inch have to
remain constant between the desired size and what it is being tapped out to
for the helicoil.  So if you are installing a helicoil in a 1/4X20 hole
whatever the size the tap is it will be 20 TPI.
So if your knob is larger than the shift lever, you can have a custom insert
machined assuming the difference is large enough, or you might be able to
fill the hole with some type of filler that can then be drilled and machined
(JB Weld?) or you can buy a new knob.
Rick