Re: [Mgs] Gear shift knob

To: barrie@look.ca
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Gear shift knob
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:44:49 EDT
Barrie, the shift know thread isn't a critical structural issue.  You
might consider drilling the hole just slightly oversize so that it clears the
root thread size on the shaft, and then see how far down it fits, and if not
far  enough, run a correct tap in.  Even if you hash the inside threads a
bit,  they will often thread on enough, especially if you (lightly) fit a thin
lock  nut under it.

I know it sounds like butchery, but it often works in that specific
situation, and saves a bad situation when there really isn't enough meat to be
doing major machining without harming the knob.

If you do drill it out, you might want to try doing it on a drill press and
 holding the knob in your hand wearing a rubber glove.  Of course if it
catches (which it WILL if you apply much pressure at all) it may fling it
across  the shop, so doing it inside a cardboard box is advisable, but I've had
luck  doing this very carefully and it doesn't risk making marks on the
outside of the  knob..

Bill

In a message dated 4/1/2010 8:36:00 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,