Re: [Mgs] tow an MGA

To: <thgun@comporium.net>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] tow an MGA
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:58:17 -0600
That depends on the meaning of "best". To determine best, several
factors come into play - one person job or with helper, type of traffic
to be encountered, equipment availability, maybe cost. I have done quite
a bit of towing of MGBs the past decade or more under quite a few
scenarios, mostly long distances so my general preferred method is a
flat bed trailer but for short distances I have used the less expensive
car dolly. This is because I have a land Rover to do the towing but I
have rented the trailers from U-Haul (although I am in the process of
buying a flat bed trailer that needs restoration).

In my poorer days (and younger when I was more daring), I relied on a
helper and a tow rope almost exclusively. I might even do it now if it
is low traffic, slower speed roadways. One time I even towed a 65 MGB
using a 71 MGBGT and tow rope in Denver for maybe 10 miles. In the day,
that was my "best" option because it was all I had and could afford.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B