Re: [Mgs] Moss Spin-on oil filter adaptor

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Moss Spin-on oil filter adaptor
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:36:37 -0700
1. I think he was just giving the number for cross-reference.
2. I believe that survey is pretty old by now. Fram currently has 3 grades
of filter available. The premium one is probably comparable. The one in the
survey is equivalent to their lowest grade.
3. That same filter fits Chrysler small block V8s (another cross-reference).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 4/12/10 3:18 PM, Barrie Robinson at barrie@look.ca wrote:

> I thought that that oil filter survey said Fram ones were not very good !!
>

> At 11:02 AM 4/11/2010, Richard Ewald wrote:
>> V8 ford filter fits. Ph8 Fram
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 11, 2010, at 7:32, "Councill, David"
>> <dcouncill@msubillings.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I am installing the spin-on oil filter adaptor on my 64B project
>>> car. It
>>> started when I couldn't get the 20+ year old o-ring seal out of the
>>> block groove plus knowing I'd have to line up the canister and old
>>> adaptor with the block on reassembly and aligned so that the assembly
>>> doesn't leak oil. It seemed like time to try the spin-on adaptor and
>>> thus be done with the messy canister filter changes. I finally had to
>>> take a drill to split the 0-ring seal so I could get a small
>>> screwdriver
>>> blade under the rubber and finally get the seal out - all now
>>> petrified
>>> rubber.
>>>
>>> I'll be putting in the spin-on adaptor today but it looks like a nice
>>> kit so I'll probably convert my 67BGT over as well on its next oil
>>> change. I ordered the kit but not the filter as it looks like Moss has
>>> the filter marked up maybe $2-$3 more than local cost. They identify
>>> the
>>> filter as 235-880 or the WIX filter as 235-830. Today's question -
>>> what
>>> does that translate to in terms of a WIX, Napa, or Fram filter
>>> number? I
>>> usually get my filters at NAPA where their gold filters are just
>>> rebranded WIX filters.
>>>
>>> David Councill
>>> 64 B
>>> 67 BGT