[Mgs] Heading further off-topic into peerages (was Re: Their back!!)

To: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Subject: [Mgs] Heading further off-topic into peerages (was Re: Their back!!)
From: Richard Gosling <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:44:22 +0100
"May I ask your opinion as a Brit..What do you feel prompted William Morris'
 by then a highly respectable Industrialist and Automotive Giant to want to
 buy a Lordship title thus becoming Lord Nuffield in his latter years?"
I'm not the Brit you asked, but I'm a Brit and I'll answer...

Admittedly, there has been the odd scandal and dubious practice, but it is
generally the case that you cannot just "buy" yourself a peerage in the UK.
Peerages are awarded for service to your country - this may be by charitable
activity, artistic or sporting achievement, business or industry that
creates wealth and employment, military achievement, political activity etc.
etc.

Yes, there are ways and means, and it's far from perfect.  For instance,
making large donations to a political party has been known to help.  As has
making large donations to charity.  (And far too many politicians and civil
servants get one).  So being rich and giving some of your money away can
influence a peerage.  Still, it would be unfair and wrong to assume someone
"bought" their title until you had a good reason to believe it.

I know little about William Morris' peerage in particular, other than what
I've just this second read on Wikipedia - if anyone has specific
information, I'd be fascinated to see it.  However, I've no doubt he'd be in
line for a title on the basis of creating a substantial industrial company,
rescuing other bankrupt companies (e.g. Wolseley), and providing employment
for many, wealth for the nation, and a widely exported product.  He wouldn't
need to buy one.

Interesting to note that his most major charitable activity, the creation of
the Nuffield Foundation (a substantial educational charity, founded an
Oxford college, and I remember my physics textbooks at school being
published by them!), came 5 years AFTER his highest title (Viscount) was
endowed, and so you can say with certainty he didn't make the foundation in
order to influence any peerage decision.
Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75