Re: [Mgs] then came BMC and British-Leyland! (was Re: Their back!!)

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] then came BMC and British-Leyland! (was Re: Their back!!)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:57:20 +0100
Lloyd George did famously sell peerages in the 1920s to top up his political
fund, but that was outlawed in 1925, Nuffield didn't get his first honour
until 1929.  Alberto obviously has some down on Nuffield, but it is
irrational if he can't substantiate his allegations.

He also said "William Morris fluffed off the MG by rather than giving them a
full pedigree when he formed Morris Motors  Ltd.", now correct me if I'm
wrong but isn't one of the best things about MG that they *did* have their
own pedigree?  It was only when Nuffield was convinced (by others) in
1938 to relinquish *personal* ownership of MG (i.e. far from being a
"Bastard
step child") and Wolseley that they became part of Morris Motors, and that
was when the rot started with the loss of their own design office for many
years and the requirement to use corporate parts for evermore, even though
and in spite of that they continued to produce some wonderful cars, cars
that are cherished to this day, unlike many of those of the parent
organisation.

BMC, BL, Austin Rover et al (including their unions) did indeed destroy the
mass British-owned car industry, but that was way after Nuffield's time.

As to why he took the name Nuffield when he was honoured (which is a
completely different point to accusing him of buying it), you obviously
don't understand how peerages and honours work (and there is no reason why
you should - until you start attacking those who have received them).  Peers
of the realm are *required* to take a title when honoured, and are
thereafter known by that title instead of their family name.  It is usually
a place they have had some long or favourite connection with, and in the
case of Morris 'Nuffield' was the name of the Oxfordshire village where he
had chosen to settle.

PaulH.