Re: [Mgs] + or - Ground?

To: "Frank Krajewski" <Frankk12@verizon.net>, "MGList"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] + or - Ground?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 14:53:21 +0100
Yeah, and the speedo ...  You might suk now you are old, but the fuel pump
won't, and neither will the starter motor.

If you have an alternator or modern electronic kit in either car then it's
almost certainly -ve ground.  If you have dynamos in both then apart from
the electronic rev counter (late 64 Bs) they will work just fine either way.
The coil isn't a perfect indication as they will run just fine connected
either way, with either polarity, so one or both of them could simply be
'wrong'.  I can't see any reason for converting either unless you have
fitted an alternator or modern electronic kit.

UK batteries have different sized posts - +ve is larger than -ve.  Only
about 1/20" different, but very noticeable if you get the wrong connector on
a post, particularly the older 'helmet' type.  Check each connector one at a
time.

PaulH.