[Mgs] Miss / stumble

To: e-type mail list <e-type@jag-lovers.org>, tr3a
Subject: [Mgs] Miss / stumble
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 05:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hey Friends,

I write today to ask you, the 'Friends of Carburetors Society', a
question or two.  And although the car in question uses four 40DCFN
Webers, the issue is universal to carburetted cars.  Here's the setup.

I just replaced the timing belts and the ignition in my car.  The
valve timing was not affected and the ignition timing was not
adjusted.  The car got belts, new plugs and new plug wires.

At cruise and at about any engine speed when the throttle is opened
slightly, the engine tends to miss a little bit, a little stumble if
you will.  The condition tends to be more noticeable in the mid-rev-
band.  My first thought is that the charge leans out because the
accelerator pumps aren't engaging quickly enough.  And yes, I know
that SUs and Z-Ss don't have accelerator pumps but they address the
lean-out issue with other methods.  If instead of gently opening
the throttle a tiny bit, and if I open it aggressively, the car
instantly accelerates without the slightest hesitation.  This
condition also seems to indicate that the charge is leaning-out.

So I ask: Please share your insight as to what might cause the flat
spot / stumble / what_ever_we_should_call_it.  Thank you.

-rick

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75