Re: [Mgs] MGA coil

To: "Tom Gunderson" <thgun@comporium.net>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA coil
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:14:36 +0100
You need to clip a timing light onto the coil lead and each plug lead and
check that it flashes as you crank.  Even then it could be points or
condenser.  After cranking for even a short while the plugs should smell
strongly of fuel.  If no fuel smell then no fuel is getting through to the
cylinders.  If they are wet then it is flooded, but you can usually smell
that anyway.  Is the choke functioning?

A coil gets pretty warm in normal running, too hot to touch if the ignition
is left on with a stopped engine as the crank usually stops such that the
points are closed.

PaulH.