[Mgs] MGB scam

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] MGB scam
From: don <don@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:41:31 -0700
In my undending pursuit of a nice early B roadster, I just came upon
a scam.  Last one of these crooks I encountered, a Christian
missionary from Tuvolu, wanted to buy my TR8.  This scam is a guy
supposedly selling a red MGB roadster.

The car is advertised on Auto Trader, and the seller claims to live
in Los Altos CA.  I live in northern CA, so not that far from
there.  I tried calling the phone number in the ad and the phone
number was not a working number.  Hmmm.  I emailed the seller, and
did get a reply, but no method of contacting by phone was
offered.  He sent me a link to a website with pretty pictures of the
car, but no way to contact the guy by phone.  Finally, I get the
email from him which is very suspicious and I've copied it below.

1.  THE AD
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1965-MG-MGB-312055.xhtml?actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2FvehicleSearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=38613

2.  THE PRETTY PICTURES
Hi,
Thanks for your email. This car is in great condition, the title is
clear and all you have to do is to put your name on it.
Here's a link with some pics
<http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy255/1965MG/>http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy255/1965MG/
If you are interested email me back
I need money very fast so I will let it go for just $8,500
Thanks

>3.  THE ATTEMPT TO GET MONEY FOR A CAR THAT PROBABLY DOES NOT EXIST
>Hello,
>Thank you for showing interest! I work as a petroleum engineer and
>my time is limited. I am not so familiar with online sales and I
>decided to use a service from an business-specialized company eBay
>Purchase Protection.
>The car is now in their custody and they will handle all sale
>proces. The car will be shipped from eBay Motors Vehicle garage. The
>shipping fees si already paid in advance by me and there will not be
>any other costs regarding this transaction. The car will be shipped
>to your address trough an enclosed trailer and will be at your
>address in no more than 3 business days after the deposit is
>confirmed by eBay. You will have also a 3 days for inspection.
>If, by any reason, you won't be satisfied with it ( even though I
>can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it
>at my expense for a full refund of your deposit, no questions asked.
>I think this is more than fair for both of us.
>This deal WILL BE MADE UNDER THE eBay RULES AND POLICIES Both of us
>will be protected. I WILL NOT DEAL OUTSIDE EBAY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
>In order to start our transaction I will need to know your:
>Full name:.............
>Shipping address.......
>I will forward the details of our transaction to eBay and then you
>will receive an invoice from them.
>- Total price you have to pay is $8,500
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you

Mgs@autox.team.net