Re: [Mgs] B GT brings big bucks

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] B GT brings big bucks
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:22:47 -0700
I don't think originality has much to do with B pricing, at all. The cars
are common, and relatively low-priced (as far as collector cars go), so
98-point concours condition isn't really in demand. People want these cars
to drive and enjoy, and they will pay for well-chosen modern conveniences,
perceived reliability, and attractive presentation more than for correct
Mowog hoses or screwheads. In particular they will pay for someone else
having done the rust repair and cosmetics, since they will undoubtedly still
be purchasing the labor at a discount.

It is the cars in poorer condition (restoration candidates) where
originality is more important -- it is much harder to restore a car that has
already been through the hands of clever and not-so-clever DPOs. For the
most part, people restore these cars for themselves, not for the
marketplace, because there isn't really enough upside to break even (as the
restorer of this GT may be finding out).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 7/22/10 9:17 PM, don at don@napanet.net wrote:

> Watching eBay in my search for an early B roadster, I noticed that a
> '66 B GT just got sold for $15,100.  This has got to be a record,
> and/or an anomaly.  Are prices on the rise?
>
> It would be one thing if the car had the original type engine and O/D
> gearbox, but this car was not redone to original spec at all.  Does
> this mean that buyers are not that knowledgeable?  Perhaps the red
> colour and wire wheels just do the trick, and curb appeal trumps the
> details.  And the $60,000 quoted as being spent on the car's
> restoration must have impressed some buyers.
>
> They don't call it "resale red"  for nothing.
>

> $15,100
>
> []
>

> eBay NE Florida
>
> 2010-07-15 10:52:47
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320562113872>MG
> : MGB MGB GT 1966 MGB GT Red BETTER THAN NEW Over $60k Invested

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive