Re: [Mgs] Filling gearbox on an MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Filling gearbox on an MGB
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:48:28 -0700
I use one of the hand pumps that come with those gallon jugs of diff oil (or
are available at auto parts stores), that threads onto the neck of the oil
jug, with a length of rubber hose. The biggest problem as far as I am
concerned is ensuring that the car is level. This is hard to do up on 4 jack
stands, when the adjustment on each is in 1-inch increments. I have tried
jacking up one side to get the plug out and insert the hose, then letting it
back down on its wheels, and pumping until I get overflow (this is a side
filler). Accurate but messy (cardboard and a drip pan recommended).

At least you don't have to do the complete fill very often. Usually the
top-off just involves a few squirts.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 7/23/10 11:21 AM, Ed Woods at fogbro1@comcast.net wrote:

> List,
>
> I've just had the unpleasant experience of filling the o/d gearbox on my '72
> MGB with an old Sears oil gun. A good deal of the oil was on me and the
> floor. Even less fun when you're trying to do it with the car on jackstands
> and ramps. 3 quarts also necessitated 6 trips from under the car for (messy)
> refills.
>
> Does anyone have a better method short of buying a lift or taking it to
> someone else? A pump of some kind perhaps?
>
> The only good news is that the addition of a non return valve spring has
> fixed the overdrive! Guess the guy who sold it to me on Ebay left that small
> piece out!
>
> Ed Woods

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html