Re: [Mgs] Cooling System Flush

To: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Cooling System Flush
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:15:17 -0600
I have used radiator cleaners twice, both on vehicles with rusty colored
coolant. I also use the water flush method which is just a kit where you
hook up a hose to the heater line and force water through and out the
top of the radiator until it comes out clear, then drain the water. This
is probably best just for routine cleaning.

On the rusty coolant, I recall on my 71BGT using what were oxalic acid
crystals poured into the radiator, running the engine for 10-15 minutes,
draining, adding water and a neutralizer, run engine, drain. That was
maybe 25 years ago and I think cleaners now are in liquid form. I used
what was probably the Prestone radiator cleaner on my son's Chevy S10 a
few years ago. They do clean fairly well but the key is making sure you
flush the cleaner out at the end of the process so its corrosive action
is short term.

As I recall on my 71BGT, my heater core was already clogged when I did
the cleaning so the cleaner did not help enough (heat was minimal). It
was back in the early to mid 80s and my 71BGT was a daily driver for a
104 mile round trip commute under cold weather conditions (as cold as
-20 F). That called for a creative fix, probably not recommended, but I
pulled the heater core out of the case which involved bending the case a
small bit to get it out. I then poured a solution of cleaner into the
heater core and warmed the core on a propane stove. Drained/repeated
until the solution was clear and then put it back in the car. That
brought me heat in the BGT for cold winter drives although when below
zero I also had to put cardboard over part of the radiator to keep
coolant temps up.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT